|MENDHAM BOROUGH Government Information|
2 West Main St
Mendham, NJ 07945
POPULATION: 5,097 AREA (Square Miles): 6
MAYOR Richard Kraft ------ 4 year term - expires 12/31/06
COUNCIL MEMBERS 6 members - 3 year terms staggered elections
Office Hours: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm weekdays All Departments
Administrator: Ralph E Blakeslee
Attorney: John P Jansen
Clerk: Cheryl A Jones
Construction Code Official: Joseph Alicino
Engineer: Paul Ferriero
Public Utilities: Karen Bellamy
Superintendent of Public Works: Thomas Miller
Tax Assessor: Ernest DelGuercio
Tax Collector: Rosalie Lauerman
Treasurer: Susan Giordano
To Report A Fire.................................................. 9-1-1
Mendham Borough Public Library
Director: Karen Yannetta......................... 973 543-4152
Hours: Mon - Thurs 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
The Mendham Township Committee and the Mendham Borough Council have operated their courts under a "joint but separate" system since February of 1976. The township municipal building is used for a courtroom and the keeping of records. One magistrate, one prosecutor and one court and violations clerk serve both the borough and township. Persons appointed to these positions must be approved by both governing bodies and their salaries are shared equally by the town municipalities.
Police Chief: Patricia Cameron
MENDHAM BOROUGH SCHOOLS
Superintendent of Schools Dr. Gayle Carrick ................973 543-2295
12 Hilltop Rd, Mendham
Mountain View School
Regional Day School
Water was the foremost cause for the separating of what was once all known as Mendham Township. The men of the Bucket Brigade, formed in 1905 for fire protection, found their work of no avail after two very bad fires, because of its lack of water. This group of dedicated men took up the challenge to find out what could be done about this serious matter. It was fire and the fear of fire that haunted these men.
On May 15,1906, Mendham Borough was incorporated to facilitate the installation of a public water system for residents of the village. Federal law at that time prohibited the installation of a gravity water system without setting up, politically, a municipal government with municipal boundaries.
Henry C Pitney owned the land and water rights where the reservoir had been planned to be built and gave the water rights to the Borough of Mendham. The Borough could only be bonded for the distance of the gravity flow of water. This distance was approximately one mile in four directions from the center of Mendham Township, thus the heart or very center of the Township became the Borough of Mendham, with the Township forming a horseshoe around it. The first Council meeting was held on June 18, 1906 and in July a committee met to survey the property of Mendham Township in order to find what proportionate share belonged to Mendham Borough. When the boundary lines were established, concrete monuments were to mark these lines.
In September 1906, a petition was received by the town council and signed by a majority of the property owners, to have an adequate water supply. A Special Water Election was held on October 1,1907 and by 1910, the water system was in use. The water system had a rough beginning as many residents kept their wells and did not connect up to the town water system. This meant that revenue wasn't received and resulted in the Water Bonds not being paid off for a period of twenty years.
The center of the Borough still remains much the same as in earlier days, with the intersection of the two main streets and the same four buildings telling the visitor and the traveler how long they have served the many citizens of past and present times.