The Black Horse Inn was originally used as a farmhouse in the very early years, and according to a builder's opinion, the foundation suggests that it wasn't intended to be used as a public building. In 1740 the building was purchased by Ebenezer Byram, who was one of the very early settlers in Mendham. Mr. Byram opened this building as a guest house for some of the early travelers and it later became a tavern. Through the years, this building has kept on with the same type of business, that being the selling of "spirits."
In 1874 the tavern was sold George S. Beavers.
After an ownership of 49 years from 1874 to 1923, Mr. Beavers then sold the Inn to Roy L. Vliet. Mr. Vliet owned the building for 35 years from 1923 to 1958. In 1958 it was sold to Sam Fornaro and Sons.
Through the years many false floors and other secret hiding places were discovered indicating the Inn's possible use for illegal activities during Prohibition days.
At the present time The Black Horse Tavern is owned by Anthony Knapp. The out-buildings and barn were renovated and now house The Pub.